The Content Manager leads storytelling and message development that helps the Foundation activate local solutions and promote LOR’s work regionally and nationally. The ideal candidate has experience across platforms and can write a compelling tweet, engage users on Facebook, or take a long-form journalistic approach to storytelling. The role requires an authentic connection to the Mountain West and an understanding of life in rural communities. The successful candidate will be persuasive and have the ability to craft a compelling and urgent narrative that helps to elevate interest and investment in communities across the Foundation’s region.
The work is fast-paced, requiring agile thinking, intuition and the insight to find the story within the story. The position is Denver-based, but we seek an individual who has the ability to travel to LOR’s local offices as needed, acting as LOR’s own reporter. We are interested in candidates that are inquisitive and can report on and find multiple story angles within the work we fund, the organizations behind them, and the communities themselves. The writing we are in need of is not just a summary of the work on the ground but writing that includes the broader backdrop of what is happening in the rural Mountain West. The successful applicant will be equally comfortable developing and executing long-term strategy while also managing workflow demands that can be paced like a business startup.
- Lead the Foundation’s storytelling to amplify the Foundation’s reach and impact by producing and publishing content, and executing content strategies
- Lead development of a range of storytelling formats from long narratives to tweets and serve as the Foundation’s internal writer and editor
- Conduct media outreach to support local, regional, and national programs and grants
- Manage the LOR Foundation’s social media accounts by creating and sharing relevant content in support of the Foundation’s work and mission
- Vet and test tools that can support authentic and easy to adopt content creation across the organization and with community organizations
- Support and contribute to the creation of visual content
- Contribute to LOR messaging and brand awareness by creating content for publication and the website
- Support community organizations and programmatic staff with message creation that helps to activate local solutions
- Work directly with local photographers, videographers and freelancers to support the storytelling efforts
- In addition to responding to newsworthy LOR storytelling needs in real time, exercise creativity and journalistic traits to uncover additional opportunities for content
- Support the Community Engagement Officer with LOR supported events, capturing content in live moments
- Education: College degree required, Communications, Journalism or MFA degrees preferred
- Employment: Minimum of 10 years related work experience preferred (e.g., reporter, social media or communications manager, freelance writer, PR agency account lead)
- Skills: Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated reliability and attention to detail; Excellent written and oral communication; Experience and comfort using various technical systems for lead generation/tracking, internal communications, and task management; Self-motivated and able to successfully complete assigned work with minimal supervision; Exhibits solid judgment, critical thinking, and a sense of teamwork and communitySelf-motivated and able to successfully complete assigned work with minimal supervision; Exhibits solid judgment, critical thinking, and a sense of teamwork and community
This search is being led by Tamar Datan and Chris Cannon of Nonprofit Professionals Advisory Group (NPAG). Due to the pace of this search, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications should include a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume, and where you learned of the position.
Email applications to: LOR-CM@nonprofitprofessionals.com
LOR Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.